<VV> The Buffalo Convention Haunts Me

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Jul 9 19:24:53 EDT 2009

Let me begin my noting that I am not a resident of New York State nor do
I have a business presence in that state.

In advance of the Buffalo convention some years back, it was recommended
that persons intending to sell in the flea market or vendor area obtain
a NY State sales tax certificate.  There was the predictable complaining
on this list, but the fact was it was easy and painless to obtain the
needed certificate.  I did it on-line in a matter of minutes.

Then my plans changed, with the result that I took no parts or
merchandise to the convention, I did not obtain a vendor space, and I
sold nothing.

Early this year, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance
telephoned me, to ask, in essence, where the hell was my sale tax
remittance.  I told the individual my story, and she said that I would
have to speak to someone else and that she would transfer me.  I spent
the next several minutes on hold before hanging up.

A week or so later they called again and we repeated the process.

Then in May they sent me a bill, for $1500 plus interest and penalty.
Excuse me while I say, WTF?

I wrote a concise and polite letter, explaining the situation and
recommending that they close my file.

In today's mail comes a revised bill, still for $1500 but with even more
interest and penalty now totaling $2,631.90, AND with threats of
garnishment, confiscation, and the recommendation that I hire an attorney.

I say again, only this time with supreme irritation, WTF?  New York's
moribund legislature is a joke, the unshaven governor is politically
impotent, but they are expending money and effort to collect a
non-existent debt arising from my attempt to do the right thing.

I checked the "dispute" box on today's form, noted "see enclosed
correspondence," and included a copy of my letter from May.

I suspect my miseries are just beginning.

--Bob