<VV> The Buffalo Convention Haunts Me

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Jul 9 21:01:23 EDT 2009

Alas Bob - you're facing the future. One of many reasons we no longer
vend at events (Palm Springs may be an exception this year because we
have been set up for it for the past 8 or so years). The fact is, every
state in the Union (except Oregon!) has state sales tax. And if you come
into their state they expect you to be registered and collect the tax.
Some states will even desire a deposit. Now.......

Few of the states enforce this in any way. And some that do (like CA)
only require it of "Commercial" sellers (and that's on a county by
county basis!). There are a few states that are notorious for having
state tax nazis who visit every little swap meet large or small  (Nevada
is one of the most famous) but by and large in the past you could come
to a "private" event (like a Corsa convention) and would never be
hassled in most states.

Say goodbye to the old days. There are two issues - The "need" for more
income on the part government at all levels and 2) The sad fact that
Buffalo "let the cat out of the bag" for Corsa sellers at all future
conventions. Honestly, some folks from Florida need to let us know how
agressivly their state enforces state sales tax collection by out of
state, non commercial, sellers at a private event. Hint - If you call
the Florida state tax department I can already tell you their answer.

This is a nasty issue, because except in Oregon, nearly anyone selling
ANYTHING at ANY TIME is supposed to be collecting sales tax - thats the
100% correct response. (Mail order doesn't count but under the current
climate that is going to change at some point as well) But the reality
is there are millions of people every day selling things at conventions,
swap meets, garage sales, etc etc that DO NOT do so and are NEVER
harrassed by a sales tax agency.

Yeah, it all sucks. Good luck Bob!     Lon