<VV> Sucked Napkin/not a me too post just extra emphasis

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 11:41:41 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/10/2009 10:13:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
egszuch at charter.net writes:

My  thoughts on the napkin would be to find out where every piece of it
went. If  not, you may cause a hot spot that could cause localized overheating
and  possible damage.
I made a dune buggy years back from a Corvair and was  proudly polishing
the shroud and IECO 4bbl manifold while leaving the engine  idling. A portion
of the rag got sucked into the engine and since it was a  small piece (fan
ripped it), I thought I was OK. Long story short, the engine  developed a
misfire which was due to a dropped an intake valve seat. Guess  where the rag
was when I tore the engine down to make the repair? Yep, it  blocked the air
flow in the area of that particular valve seat in the head.  The rag was
slightly charred in the area that it contacted the head so things  ran hot in
that location.
I know there's a difference in combustion  temperatures between paper and
cloth (type dependent) but if you can't  guarantee the paper has burned up,
I'd get the cover off and find it. Good  luck.
Gary Szuch
66 Corsa

I once had a '66 rust bucket convertible that was a great car for six
years, but the engine ran hot and pinged heavily when warmed up.  I found a
shop rag on top of number six and a paper towel or napkin remnant on top of
number five cylinder head (which disintegrated as I tried to remove it).
Though the engine had been abused before I got it once it was operating
properly  it ran strongly and dependably until I sold it.  I'd take off the top
engine cover and clean out the napkin and anything else you find that will
restrict cooling.

Bob Hall
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323031x1201367232/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=