<VV> GM Plant Closings - Corvair Related

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 1 12:06:27 EDT 2009

Got the word on the radio this morning that the Mansfield (Ontario) Ohio
stamping plant is one that will close by June twentyten. That's the plant I
used to work in. I don't know if they ever produced any Corvair parts
(Corvair content), as that was before my time. At least I never saw any
Corvair tooling, even though I looked. The Mansfield plant is their largest
sheet metal stamping plant, and (at least at one time) has the world's
largest press pit. It also has one of only two 2,000 ton presses in GM,
their largest press size. At its peak, it employed almost 4,000 people.

In the morning's issue of the local paper, they also reported that
Mansfield has the third lowest home prices in the US, and Ohio has four of
the bottom five. Also, unemployment in the Mansfield area is 12.8%.

The village of Ontario (a suburb of Mansfield) built their entire high
school off the money GM brought into the area. So this loss will be
devastating beyond imagining to the community.

I think that by this time next year, this area will be at Great Depression
levels. Anyone wanna buy a house, cheap? There's lots to choose from, even
now....

-Mark