<VV> Clutch question - LONG!!

Jim Houston jhouston45 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:06:39 EDT 2009

I have a question for the experts ...  we changed the clutch on our Club
autocross car (LM 110).. and now we can't get it adjusted enough to
release the clutch.  It will not go into reverse (terrible grinding) and
if the other gears didn't have syncros, it wouldn't go there either.
Engine has been out twice for this problem.  First time, we decided that
the flywheel had been machined wrong - the difference (step?) between
the outer surface where the pressure plate bolts, and the surface where
the disk rides was .140 thou.  Measured a stock flywheel and the
difference was .110 thou.  So, we figured the .030 was making the
"space" for the disk too tight (flywheel was too "flat").  So, we
installed a factory stock flywheel.  Same result.  Throwout bearing is
flat faced (correct) and measurements are correct according to Clark's
tech data (also, this TO bearing was in the car and working fine
before).  The fork is correctly installed on the TO bearing and the
pivot ball on the diff.  The disk is installed correctly (short side
toward flywheel) and it is stock (used), and the pressure plate was in a
running car before.  When the pressure plate is placed on the workbench,
the fingers make a cone.  We have adjusted until there is NO freeplay at
the pedal and the clutch will still not release.  The adjustment at the
end of the clutch cable (Heim joint) is adjusted as far forward as it
can be (shortening the effective length), and the fork actuation rod is
adjusted to about 3/8" from the maximum (again, shortest possible
length).  By measurement, the end of the cross arm that the cable is
attached to moves about 3" when the pedal is depressed, and the shorter
arm connected to the fork moves 7/8" - indicating an approximate 3 to 1
relationship.  We are assuming that this is correct.   Anybody have any
suggestions/ideas/comments??  At this point we have run out of ideas.

Jim Houston
'65 Monza coupe