<VV> Overhaulin'

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 20 01:46:27 EDT 2009

FWIW, I researched this in Texas a few years ago before buying my kit car.
You should look it up in case it's as amusing in your state as it is here.

The identity of the car for registration and tax purposes goes with the
"number on the body" for cars made after 1955 (except for Fords when it's
1932).  Before that it varies by car manufacturer, with the identity going
with the "motor number".  Except when it doesn't, like for the Volkswagen
Beetle, some Fords, and some Cadillacs.  I can't find the Texas
Transportation Code section that covers this, but it's repeated a few
screens into
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/TVCC/Summer2003news.html

So, if you put a new (different) engine in your 1954 Chevy, you have to pay
the state a fee and get the title "re-identified" with the new engine
number.  On the plus side, if you take a 1970 VW belly pan and weld giant
frame members to it, put a huge motor in it, and stick on a spiffy
fiberglass body, it's still a 1970 VW and doesn't have to pass emissions.
Be careful when you carve up the belly pan.  If you cut out the VIN, you're
screwed.

In my case, with my 1969 Fiberfab Avenger, the Avenger frame has a VIN on it
and I successfully registered it as a 1969 "constructed" car - no emissions.
If you're not careful here, you end up with it registered as from the "year
it was completed" - making it a new car.

And, if you're Boyd, and you're putting VINs from other cars on your cars,
you're automatically considered a vile criminal type.  Worse, you might be
considered a used car dealer and from Calyfornya - a double whammy.
Remember, we have concealed carry here.  ;-)

Roger Gault
Republic of Texas