<VV> Damaged Cam Gear

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Thu May 7 17:22:38 EDT 2009

I had a cam gear fail in a similar way. Here is my story. My 1965 140 Corsa
 had a light knock for several years, back in the late 70s. I had the
engine  rebuilt in 1979. About 15 years later, a similar knock returned. I
continued to  drive the car and ignored the light knock. In 2000, I replaced the
Harmonic  balancer with a Dale unit. All was fine until last fall. On my way
back from a  club event, I heard a loud knocking. I babied the car home,
about 12 miles. I  had it towed over to a Corvair Atlanta member whose
mechanical expertise is  better than mine. What he found was a failed cam gear.
Three adjacent teeth were  missing. The only problem he found to cause it, other
than 40+ years of metal  fatigue and over 170,000 miles was that the front
main bearing had  excessive play. After fitting a bearing with the correct
clearance and a new cam  gear, the engine is fine and the light knock that
was present is  gone.
Dan Terry
Corvair Atlanta
1965 Corsa 140 coupe

In a message dated 5/7/2009 5:03:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,