<VV> Smog Heads -- 95 vs 110

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri May 8 17:32:18 EDT 2009

Bill see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt In a message dated 5/8/2009 10:58:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard
Time, lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

And, for  my last discussion point, I hesitatingly ask -- what is the
difference?  Seems like back in Nov of 2007, nobody, and this  included
Bob Helt and Lon Wall, could precisly agree or explain some of  the
differences.

OH? Really??

If they both used the open heads with the 95 having flat-topped  pistons,
and the 110 the "domed" pistons, what I want to know is where did  GM
find 95 horses by reducing the compression ration in the 95 motors from
the earlier squish design?  Or, are the horsepower figures for the  68's
and 69's simply bogus?
GM didn't reduce the CR by enough to make a difference. !!!!!
All advertised horsepower numbers are bogus anyhow. They are made up.
Actual dyno testing showed the 164 110 hp at 88. No horsepower tests or
actual numbers were released by Chevrolet for the AIR engines. All advertised
hp  ratings are bogus, some are just more bogus than others. Probably
depended on  what they were smoking that day too.

I know that different head numbers are  listed in Clark's catalog, but
what are the actual differences in the  castings?  Are not all open
chamber "smog" heads the same?  Are  some more "open" than others?  They
all "look" like 180 turbo heads,  without the special turbo features.  If
I had some some of each, I  could cc them myself, but I don't, and
anyway, if you've ever cc'd a batch  of heads, the volumes are often all
over the place anyway.

The same head casting and machining was used for all AIR heads (not
including human air heads. ggg) according to Corvair engineer, Bob Kirkman.

Are you not aware of the head listing and analysis done by Bob for the Tech
 Guide. It's all in there. Take a look.

Regards,
Bob Helt

Inquiring minds want to know.