<VV> carburetor exchange?

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Sun May 17 20:46:54 EDT 2009

Matt,
     I think YOU mean 2 inches of mercury (in. Hg) equals about 1 psi since atmospheric pressure is 30 in. Hg or 14.7 psia.
     And therefore 1/2 in. Hg pressure is only 1/4 psi.  If this is the pressure drop through your carb it should be good for 9000 or 10,000 rpm!<GGG>  In other words IMHO it's rather LARGE for more "normal" driving.   As an example, the GM tech report on the early Spyder turbo car indicates SEVEN in Hg pressure drop through the stock YH at max rpm.  That's a 3-1/2 psi drop from atmospheric pressure which definitely shows that this YH carb is the main limiting factor for high rpm boost and performance.  So 1/2 in. Hg drop is too little (carb too big), but 7 in. Hg is too big (carb too small).
      Like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, we need carburetion that's neither too big nor too small.
     Frank "moderation in most things" Burkhard

I think you mean INCHES of Mercury?? ?27 to a psi! ??