<VV> Setting the idle (mucho info)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun May 24 12:44:50 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/24/2009 8:50:17 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

I then  reconnected every thing and put my multi-tester (Centex
digital) on  the coil wire and each of the spark wires and recorded
the  results.  I did two readings while keeping the engine running as
I was getting steadier readings the longer I continued to run the
engine at idle.  If I understand the readings, the engine wants  to
die when lowered to the 700-800 rpm range which is where it was  after
the '65 manual synchronization.  It only idles well when  pushed into
the 1000 rpm range.

1st readings (all numbers  x10)
High reading         Low reading        Average range
coil     102             89                 96-99
#1            32       14             26-30
#2            16   15         15-16 (steady)
#3         24                 14                14-16  (steady)
#4            32       16             16-23
#5            24   15         15-16 (fairly steady)
#6       17                 15                15-17  (steady)

2nd readings (all numbers x10)
High reading        Low reading         Average range
Coil            104   88         98-102
#1           17                14   14-17 (steady)
#2   16             15                15-16  (steady)
#3            17       14             14-16 (steady)
#4             17                14     14-17 (steady)
#5     16               14                14-16  (steady)
#6            17       15             15-17 (steady)

Thoughts?

Stephen  Upham

Stephen,
I am not familiar with the Centex tester, so what are you measuring here?
Spark intensity?  What is normal per the instruction book? Are you implying
that the idle problem is caused by poor spark intensity?

How have you determined that these readings tell you that the engine wants
to die at a low speed idle?

Why don't you just warm up the engine and set the idle speed to 700  RPM,
then set the idle mixture needles?

If that doesn't fix the problem, then see if fully seating the mix needles
(one at a time) doesn't cut off the idle for that bank. Are you sure that
you  don't have a vacuum leak somewhere?

Regards,
Bob Helt
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322948x1201367184/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May