<VV> Stripped Oil Pan

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 23:32:15 EDT 2009

1/4-20 helicoil works for me. If it is one of the holes along the side of the pan, they are through holes but they don't go into the crankcase, they go into the space under the pushrod tubes, so the chips will be harmless. I'm not sure about the other holes at the front and back edges.

<<John Green said:
I stripped the threads on one of my oil pan bolt holes and would like advice
on how to fix it. Would you suggest (i)helicoil, (ii) timesert, or (iii)
some other method? also, are the holes blind so I don't need to worry about
chips falling up into the crankcase?>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on