<VV> Stripped Oil Pan

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun May 31 01:54:15 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/30/2009 8:32:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dougmackintosh at yahoo.com writes:

1/4-20  helicoil works for me. If it is one of the holes along the side of
the pan,  they are through holes but they don't go into the crankcase, they
go into the  space under the pushrod tubes, so the chips will be harmless.
I'm not sure  about the other holes at the front and back  edges.

Although I have some reservations about mentioning this, apparently a  lot
of previous oil pan replacers of engines that ended up in my shop had no
problem with doing it. You can screw a longer bolt through the side  holes and
add a nut on top. You will have to be quite judicious about  torquing it
tight. But it might let you put off the inevitable "real" fix  for a while.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

**************Obama Urges Homeowners to Refi! $133K Mortgage for $679/Mo
CALCULATE NEW PAYMENT
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221359311x1201370063/aol?redir=https://www.lowermybills.com/servlet/LMBServlet?the_action=N
avigateHomeLoansAdRedirect&sourceid=lmb-17065-34614&moid=20187)