<VV> Transplanted Yankees

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 16:33:36 EDT 2009

                                                  B"H

Being born and bed a New Englander, and presently a New Yorker, I fully understand why my kind have been pulling up roots and heading down below the M-D line.

* The Northeast is getting more and more overpopulated.  In my Brooklyn neighborhood, you can't drive to the store anymore, there's virtually NO more on-street parking, and no stores have parking lots.  A 4 mile commute to work now takes 35-40 minutes (but I CANNOT and WILL NOT ride the subways)0
Interstate highways become parking lots during rush hours, all over the Northeast.  To be able to drive to work without sitting for hours, in a jammed highway, or taking 3-4 changes of a light to get through an intersection, would be a pleasure.

* as the US population ages, our tolerance for cold weather becomes more of a problem.  Despite the liberal talk about Global Warming, I feel that our seasons have gotten colder and colder over the past 10 years.  Can any New Yorkers remember when May temps didn't get out of the 60s?  Or April frosts?  Back in the old days, summers of 90 plus days went on for several weeks in August.  These days, it rarely hits 90 at all during the year, and when it does, it's for a day or two, then temps fall back to the 70s.

* The cost of living in the Northeast has become astronomical.  A family of 5 needs about $130,000 just to live comfortably.  If your family is larger, and you send your kids to private school (NYC schools are not even fit for getting a decent education, despite what you hear from our Mayor), jack that up to $200K.  Many people who bought homes are paying $2,500 or more per month just for mortgage, not including real estate taxes (which can run $10,000 and up, per year).

* as the Northeast gets overcrowded, the quality of life goes downhill.
I know these are serious issues that affect our Southern and Western bretheren, but what are we to do?

I'd move down South or out West if I could, but I have a pension and investment in my job up here, so I'm trying to stick it out as long as I can.

Not sure what the solution is, but I understand both sides...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza Coupe 110 PG