<VV> Upgrading from 3 speed to a 4 speed

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Nov 2 17:42:18 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Marlow [mailto:Vairtec at optonline.net]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 1:59 PM
To: gbraga at aol.com
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Upgrading from 3 speed to a 4 speed

gbraga at aol.com wrote:
> Is moving from a 3 speed to a 4 speed require any changes to the parts
needed?
> Input shaft, or the shift linkage? or.....
>
> This is for a 64 convertible.  The cam gears are gone on the 84 HP engine,
so I hope to replace it with a 110, and change the tranny at the same time
if it isn't too much trouble.

Robert,

A trany swap is not that big of a deal. The biggest part of the job is
removing the power Trane from the vehicle. I did my first on an FC just a
few months ago. However, as others have said, there are more parts required
than just the trany. I suggest that you purchase a copy of the "Junk Yard
Primer" book. It is available from most of the Corvair venders. Be sure that
you get the latest, second edition. It will give you identifying references
and pictures for the various transmissions, front supports and input shafts
required for the swap.

I also recommend that you consider replacing the front transmission mounts
while you are there.

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder vert
Westminster, Ca