<VV> 64 leaning

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 3 14:31:23 EST 2009

>Smitty Says;  Everybody seems to forget ...

not with Smitty around to remind us    ;-)   , thanks!

>that the major difference in the 63/64 front mounts is not so much their height but the fact that the 64 mount has a donut or pad on top of it so when the spring is under compression the mount is pressing against the top of the crossmember inside.  (because of the transverse spring)   Not sure how long the "Early" mount would last as it is not built to absorb compression loads.  I guess you could glue or bolt a rubber pad in the top of the crossmember>

I've never used the 64 mounts with the leaf spring, and it has never
given me any real trouble with the early style mounts -- the only thing
I really notice is some very infrequent occasional noise (banging) of
the bracket into the mount, something that would not have been
acceptable on a new car (like a 1964 Corvair).

I've thought about using some 3M window weld (polyurethane - part
#08609) to add a bumper on top of the earlier style's washer, but have
never done it .