<VV> What in the World.....?

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Wed Nov 4 15:18:07 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Nall" <patiomatt at aol.com>
: Re: <VV> What in the World.....?

> John sez:
> I guess back in 1961 having a manual choke was no big deal, people were
> used
> to having more control of their cars.
>

>  Bob's question was   "  WHY  after having an Automatic Choke in 1960...
> would they go back to a Manual?'
>

> Matt Nall
***********
I humbly think that I am a pretty good carburetor guy...  and yet I much
prefer manual chokes on my cars/farm tractors ......   they tend to do just
what I want them to do ... mostly richen the initial mixture at cold start
... they also help to analyse mixture problems at certain times..... for
instance, if you have a mid range or high end stumble, you can enrichen the
mixture with the choke ( plate or ) ... if things get better, you had a lean
spot ... if things get worse, you already had a too rich mixture spot ....

About 75% of problems I submit come from either choke aggravations, or a
close relative, very small fussy low end passage clogs...  ( about 25 % are
from float bowl failure/mis-adjustment ) ....

Further, as a kitchen table fuel injection half knowledgeable guy, it seems
that a lot of problems might be solved... or avoided ... with fuel injection
systems if at least the cold start, low speed, idle air by-passes, etc.,
were handled by manual schemes .

just some thoughts ... ken campbell, deltawerkes