<VV> Drive train fixture for floor jack

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:00:12 EST 2009

Dave, if you want to do it on the cheap and have some 2X4's, I can help. I
just did this with my 62. I removed the pan, however.
Take a pan bolt to the local hardware store and get some 2 inch screws the
same thread size. Get 4. Cut 2 2 by 4's , the first the width of the pan for
the area just ahead of the cam gear, a second 2 by 4 a foot wider. Center it
across the front of the engine pan and bolt it to the case using the screws.

I placed the car on jack stands, then used two sissors jacks in front, one
on each corner of the longer 2 by 4, and the hydraulic floor jack under the
diff or trans. The tripod setup made it more stable. I stacked a bunch of 2
by 4's under the back 2 by 4 so if something slipped, it wouldn't fall very
far and lowered the engine horizontally in the 1.5 inch increments!

The scissors jacks and the hydraulic jack can lower the engine so you don't
hit the carbs or oil filter and housing. I set mine on a 18 inch by 11 inch
furniture dolly I got at harbour freight for 16 bucks, had to add a 2 by 2
to just behind the cam gear to prevent tipping as that is the balance point,
then I just turned the whole thing around leaving the eng in the bay under
the car. It took me  a couple of hours to get it down and stripped,
including the bell housing. Use extra 2 by 4s as spacers, etc as needed.
Mark Durham