<VV> Power from manual top - LM

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 13 00:37:02 EST 2009

I suspect the EM an LM top frames are different - at least in width and
maybe other ways as well.

If we are talking about (I think the original question) making an original
LM manual top operate as a power top, there IS an issue with the "tip
point?" - "break point?" - whatever you wish to call it.  I think that
problem is solved by either:

1. (easy way) While holding the top button in the DOWN position with the
left hand, reach up and push upward on the front top bow in order to be sure
that the front portion (1/3rd?) of the top tips rearward.  If this is not
done, the top will not fold and the mechanism will bind up with (probably)
nasty results.

2. (more like stock way) There is a difference in the rear attachment points
of the wire (cable really) which runs along (near?) the outer edge of the
top fabric.  The power top has a small "trip mechanism?" and a shorter cable
than the manual top.  If a power motor is added to what was originally a
manual top - the motion described above (in # 1) will be needed OR the cable
and extra (appropriate) attachment part needs to be added.

Several years ago, one of our VV members (Canadian?) posted pics of a resto
he was doing (LM) and had questions about a mystery part.  Turns out it was
the "trip" for the power top.  I've got close to 20 pics stored about that.
If you need, please contact off line.

Later, JR