<VV> Bolt Grades

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 13:01:20 EST 2009

Dave Thompson wrote:

>It seems to me that a bolt that takes so much stress and is subject to breaking should be a grade 8.

I have not done any comparative testing of bolts, but what I understand
is that while Grade 8 (and higher) bolts do have a higher tensile
strength, they are overall more brittle than Grade 5 bolts, and are not
perhaps the de facto 'best choice' for some applications, especially
those taking a lot of high shock loads and abrasive wear. Perhaps the 64
Corvair spring bolts fit into this category -- I don't know -- I do know
I put in 8's my cars (with Grade 9 nuts). Maybe the factory bolts were
nitrided?   <wag>

I am sure that if further information is required, it could be found on
the internet, and if someone looks and finds such, I would appreciate
their sharing of the information.

Thank you,

Bill Strickland