<VV> 64 leaf spring ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 17:46:29 EST 2009

Dave Thompson wrote:

>I was talking about the head of the bolt.

I was, too -- so, I went back out in the daylight and took another look
-- the one you noted does show some physical wear to the top of the head
of the bolt, partially obliterating it's headstamp, source of said wear
unknown, the other looks pretty legible, and after a bit of wire
brushing shows to be an RBW Grade 5, fwiw.

Fyi, Long Island Corvette Supply has a webpage of bolts showing various
bolt's headstamps used by GM on 63-67 Vettes -- they say, "a note about
headmarks: there were many different headmarks used from the factory.
The ones we offer above and in catalog are the only ones we have and we
have determined through years of  research to have been used on the
years listed. We are providing these pictures for your reference." --
http://www.licorvette.com/bolts.htm

As to "replacements should be of grade 8", please note my post on Bolt
Grades.  Regardless, they should not just be any old bolt, but should be
of high enough quality that they are marked in some way.  Unmarked bolts
are typically Grade 3 or less, which are probably not adequate for this
application. One would also probably expect to see rolled threads,
instead of cut.

Bill Strickland