<VV> Grease question - NO DIRECT CORVAIR

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Nov 13 17:51:26 EST 2009

I have a small speedometer ratio converter. I got it several years ago
and had it geared for my 205/55-16 tires. It worked well for several
years, until I wore those tires out. When I replaced them with
205/45's it was no longer accurate, so I removed it and put it up on
the shelf. Again, several years later, I have put 205/55's back on. I
re-installed the converter. In a short time, I broke a speedometer
cable. I know they don't last forever, so I just got a new one and put
it on. But while doing that, I realized the converter was very hard to
turn and had probably caused the cable to fail.

The converter simply screws onto the speedometer, just like the cable
normally does. The cable then screws onto the converter. I took the
converter apart to see if I could figure what was going on. I couldn't
really see anything wrong. I turned the gears a bit and spread the
grease around and put it back together. Maybe the gears were just
binding up or something, I thought. It still didn't turn as easily as
I thought it should, although I don't remember what it turned like
when it was new. I spun it some with an electric drill motor. It
turned fine, so I re-installed it before going to drive the Tail of
the Dragon.

After maybe 75 miles, something started making noise, either the
converter or the speedometer itself. The speedometer registered fine
and the needle was steady. Before returning home I removed the
converter.

I think I need to clean the gears and put new lubricant on them. The
grease that is on them now is thick and seems almost like Vasilene.
The converter is two simple molded plastic halves that fit together
with lips. There is no gasket to retain lubricant, just overlap of the
lips on the molded plastic halves.

SO MY QUESTION IS... what kind of grease would work on this AND NOT
RUIN THE PLASTIC GEARS. The converter has small plastic gears inside.
My guess is they're nylon or something similar, as that is often used
for parts like these. I also know that some greases will attack
"plastic" gears and ruin them over time. It seems like Lubriplate
would be a good lubricant, but I'm afraid it is too thin and would
seep out of the casing.

I have not been able to contact the converter's manufacturer. It is
marked "PENNWALT" and "S.S. WHITE Industrial products". It has another
small logo that reads like, "CIRCLE ESS". There is no part number or
anything else on it, except for "MADE IN USA". In digging around the
internet, one company bought the other. I can't see any products like
this on their site.

If someone could suggest a grease that they know won't attack plastics
or tell me how to contact the manufacturer or refer me to someone that
knows about such greases or products, I would appreciate it.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina