<VV> Tires for earlies

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Nov 14 13:12:00 EST 2009

Hi Dave,

The wheels you have now are the same dimensionally as the stock wheels
- that's helpful since you can use anything that's worked on a stock
Corvair.

As you've found out, the 205/70-13 is no longer made.  IMHO, the 175s
you have now are a little small, I'd definitely move up to a 185/80-13
or 195/70-13.  I agree with Bob Helt, revs per mile is a better
property to use than just diameter, since bias ply and radials work
differently.  You're looking for a tire that turns about 850 revs/
mile.  Visually these tires will be a little shorter than the
originals, but they will work well.

I saw your other post about the rear springs, you are correct that the
car sitting so low is the cause of the excessive negative camber.  You
should take care of that before you get the new tires or they'll
suffer the same fate.

More info at http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

--Bryan