<VV> Transverse Spring

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sat Nov 14 17:07:31 EST 2009

> I'm wondering if Smitty has ever had a problem with the
> leaf spring bolts on his 64 wagon...? Smitty, you out there?
> You *DO* have a leaf spring on it, don't ya? And I know you
> tow with it...
Smitty Says;  Yep Lon I do have a transverse spring on the wagon. ( I thought all 64s had them).  And yes I have had the end of the spring drop down.  It dropped the back of the car dramaticially.  I had the same happen to another car a few years earlier so I was pretty sure what happened.  Both cases were failure of the threads.  I got to the side of the road immediately and saved the spring.  Removed the spring and finished my local trip objective befoe going home.  It took a good while to find a fastner shop that could supply replacements that long in grade 8 but I wouldn't settle for less.  Here's something else for the nitpickers to buzz about.  I use course thread bolts because in the dirty rusty conditions under there I feel the threads will maintain their strength longer.  I am now very aware of their condition when I have occasion to remove them and replace them if any deficiency is noted.