<VV> Bolt Grades

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 15 23:51:42 EST 2009

As part of the continuing saga of the broken bolts, I ran across this
article, with comments by bolt manufacturers (do you really trust the
guy that makes the product?) about fatigue of Grade 8 bolts and some
high strength stainless fasteners.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/23859/fastener_facts.aspx

Seems like one of the issues with fatigue failures has to do with using
a bolt in instances where it is not torqued solid to full design
specification and then it is loaded cyclically. Perhaps the outer spring
links fall into this category?

Bill Strickland

“One of the issues with Grade 8 bolts is that there are some areas where
you really don’t want to use them,” says Doc Hammett, [of] Totally
Stainless [http://www.totallystainless.com/]. “If there’s a cycling load
on them you could start to get into trouble. A classic example was on
the old belt drives where street rodders were using Grade 8 for
accessories and they were breaking bolts all of a sudden. Many were left
scratching their heads until someone figured out the bolts were
fatigued. The higher the carbon steel the more they are prone to
fatigue. Fastener manufacturers add other alloys to carbon steels and
change the properties to suit their specific needs. This is one of the
most interesting things about steel: you can add a little bit of
something and make the properties change drastically.”

Hammett says one of the biggest things that Totally Stainless has done
recently is to introduce large high-strength stainless bolts. Stainless
steel by definition is anything with at least 12 percent chromium in it.
“There are over 1,000 different alloys of stainless,” says Hammett.
“What people generally think of is 300 series stainless is generally a
low strength material and is not heat treatable. The most common 300
series is an 18-8. It’s 18 percent chrome and 8 percent nickel. The
tensile strength for 1/2˝ and larger 18-8 stainless bolts is no more
than 80,000 psi and the yield strength is only 45,000 psi. We use 17-4
PH for our high-strength bolts, this material is heat treatable and has
a tensile strength of 200,000 psi and a yield strength of 175,000. We
electro polish them, which makes them more corrosion resistant.”