<VV> Please help identify these shocks

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Nov 16 13:59:52 EST 2009

Hi Dave,

The answer is yes, no, and maybe.

Roughly, if the extended and compressed lengths match, then the shocks
will probably work at least ok.  There is more to shock selection
because shocks are really spring dampers (the Brits call them dampers,
which is much more accurate) and so various models will have differing
amounts of damping in each direction, and even at different points in
the travel.  So two shocks with the same dimensions may make the car
ride and handle very differently.

As for this particular shock, it has a helper spring on it.  Depending
on the rate and working height, you may find this raises the car.  It
will definitely raise the spring rate, which will affect the ride and
handling.

I know this is extra work, but the best course would be to install
just the '63 springs and existing shocks, drive the car a little, then
swap in these shocks and see what the difference is.

--Bryan