<VV> Please help identify these shocks

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Nov 15 17:37:37 EST 2009

I have a pair of old shocks that came in a box of Corvair parts I purchased
a few months ago. They are old but never installed. They measure 17 inches
total length with a 4-3/4 inch piston stroke. The bottom has a standard
"double ear" mounting with drilled holes. The top is a 3/8 inch threaded
shaft. Stamped on the side is a part number : PJ26P1A. I have no other info
on these shocks. See attached picture.

I have done an Internet search on the part number with no results. Does
anyone have any information on these shocks?

I will be replacing the 64 rear springs with 63 springs on my 63 Spyder next
weekend. It seems to me that since I am removing the shocks to get the
springs off, I could replace them with these if they fit. Can I just simply
compare the ones off my car to these? If they are the same length and
stroke, couldn't I use them or is there more science to shocks than that?

Dave Thompson