<VV> 1969 gas tank remove help needed

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 16 18:16:34 EST 2009

Joe,
Dropping tank not too hard. I would drain the tank from the bottom. Clamp the rubber hose on bottom near the sending unit and remove rear hose clamp and pull hose from metal fuel line. You'll want to replace the hose so cut it if it wont come off the metal pipe. When you loosen the clamp on the hose the rest of the fuel will drain. You know what to do....no sparks etc. drain into a good container.

 I forgot...jack up the front of the car high enough to get the tank out!  Jack stands etc. Remove (loosen) the sway bar and the tank will fit out. Loosen the strap nut that holds the tank up on the filler side. You can swivel the strap out of the way toward the passenger side and remove the strap after the tank is out. The straps are available, so don't worry about snapping one of them.

The tank is not heavy but two people to reinstall is a pleasure. I would recommend all new hoses and examine the brake pipe over the tank at this time.

More advice..........just ask VV.
 MIKE KOVACS