<VV> 140/4 complete engine/drivetrain value opinions reqeusted

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 16:42:09 EST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, Ray Rodriguez III <ravensong13 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Please send me your opinions (off list or on list as you
> guys think is appropriate) of what the following drivetrain
> assembly is worth:
>
>   Low miles on a professional rebuild,
> but I dont have details.  I drove this engine about
> 2,000 miles in the last couple months and it ran
> great.

 That statement is a can of worms. My last motor (with detailed invoice) that was rebuilt by someone else has a new Cam, Lifters, Screw Set Cam Gear, Main& Rod Bearing, Valves, Valve Seats, Pistons, Piston Rings, etc...
 Without the docs, you may have something as simple as a ring job, valve job and a reseal...all the way up to the above. I have to tell you that to me, without proof of what was done, I wouldn't pay more than 1K for the entire drivetrain (with a Posi) as there are just too many variables. In my experience working on Corvairs, a 140 needs to have certain parts, pistons especially, replaced at that first rebuild, otherwise they are a timebomb waiting to go off. Factory pistons tend to crack around the top ring groove in higher performance motors.

 Mike
 YS-117