<VV> Flaiming river quick steering box

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Wed Nov 18 18:37:05 EST 2009

<SNIP>

Mile says:

I have heard that they (Flaming River steering boxes) feel a little more
loose than a good factory box

<SNIP>

I have a Flaming river quick steering box on my 63 Spyder Vert. I know, the
discussion is about 65's but I wanted to discuss the box its self.

I replaced my stock box 2 days before the 2008 convention. The stock box had
over 4" of play from either side of center and the adjustment screw was
tightened below the surface of the box with locktite instead of a lock nut.

When I installed the box, I found out that it was about 1-1/2 to 2 inches
longer than the stock box. That make the steering wheel about 1-1/2 to 2
inches closer to me. I adjusted the cup behind the steering wheel and the
turn signal switch and all was fine. I don't mind the close steering wheel
at all. I also replaced the pitman arm bushing with a nylon one at the same
time.

However, I had about 3 inches of play from either side of center, not much
better than the stock box. The instructions said NOT to adjust it as it was
adjusted at the factory. I followed the directions and drove it that way for
almost a year, fighting it all the way, thinking that I had other steering
issues.

After several more knowledgeable people than me looked at my front steering
system, I came to the conclusion that the slop was in the box. I went ahead
and adjusted the box per the book and my training from Larry Shapiro and now
I have great tight steering. I am NOW very happy with my Flaming River
steering box.

Moral to the story:

Just because the instructions tell you a certain procedure, doesn't mean
there are other ways.

If you have a flaming River steering box and you think it is loose, check
the adjustment.

Dave Thompson

63 Spider vert

Westminster, CA