<VV> Wagon Exhaust Cutout

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Fri Nov 20 12:49:27 EST 2009

The back-flow into the heater from a straight-out-the-back pipe on an early is something I have observed personally.  I had a 64 Spyder as one of my first Vairs back in the late 70s and the PO had just put a straight out chrome cover from the FLAPS on the end of the muffler.  I didnt know it was supposed to point down at the time.  Every time I would have the heat on and be driving around, on the decel, fumes.  Then, one day I saved up enough to buy a repro chrome extension from Clarks.  It looked much nicer, but more importantly, no more fumes in the heat!!   I dont think it would be as likely on a late, since the intake vents are much higher up, but in my Greenbrier, I can tell when there is a tailwind when I am sitting at a stoplight.  It pushes the fumes forward and into the side intake.  Otherwise, I never get them.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
Needed some heat last week, not today!