<VV> Fuel tank sending unit issue

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 00:48:29 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/23/2009 3:57:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cmckinley313 at cox.net writes:

I'll  second that. I've been through three sending units, all supposedly
stock,  and none of them read the same for corresponding tank levels. The
first  two had nominally 40-ohm resistance for full tank, the last one is
90-ohms.  As the gas gauge is basically nothing more than an  ohm-meter,
you need to get used to whatever it says, especially near  empty! Mine
now reads about 1/8 full when there's 2.5 gallons in it.  That's good
enough for me.

Before you install the sending unit - and the float - first test the float
to make sure it has no leaks. Then connect an ohm meter across the sending
unit  and see what the readings are at full droop and full up. You can
simulate the  position in the tank. With a few extension wires, you can even hook
up the float  to the wiring to the gage and see what the gage will read,
after the sender  is properly installed. Chuck's 2.5 gallons at 1/8 tank is
pretty  good.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette