<VV> why constant newbie questions? corvair literature criticism

Ray Rodriguez III ravensong13 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 26 01:45:18 EST 2009

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

I have a bone to pick with no one in particular.....

I know I'm one of those people who grates on folks nerves from time to time with a ton of newbie questions...  and that folks frequently mention (usually politely, but not always) that my answer could have been found on page such and such.. of such and such book...    Sometimes they just say "you should really invest in some books/manuals"....

I (almost) always check the archives, google, and my books before asking questions... here is where my gripe comes in.

I own the 65' factory assembly manual, Corvair Basics, How to Hotrod Corvair engines, and How to Keep your Corvair Alive.  I need to get a 66' supplement for the new car.

The first problem is that only how to keep your corvair alive has an index.  When I go looking for something in particular it usually takes far longer than it should to find it, if I find it at all.  This might not be so bad but since you are searching multiple books it can be a nightmare...  if it was all one book it wouldnt be so bad but there is no "complete" book that I know of.. you need the whole library.

Many simple R&I procedures seem to be missing.... perhaps I'm too accustomed to standard chilton's manuals with procedures for everything.. but I find this a problem quite frequently.  I also find that there are no diagrams of a lot of things.. or that diagrams are not detailed or clear enough.

On some topics there is a ton of excellent well detailed information.. on others there is little or nothing.

The Corvair Basics book is fantastic.. and a must for any Vair owner... but why doesnt it have an index!?!?!?!?  Now if these guys (thanks Bob Helt!) would write a complete shop manual I'd be interested!.... but please include an index!!!

Some examples:

In how to keep your Corvair alive (the best source I know for a powertrain R&I procedure) the drivetrain removal is in the "Engine Maintenance" chapter between fan belt adjustment and oil level check....  to make matters worse for the poor guy looking for this procedure there are several paragraphs at the beginning of the Engine Overhaul chapter (where I would expect to find this procedure) about removing the powertrain but with no detailed procedure... and no reference to where to look for the procedure.  At the time I needed it this lead me to believe that this was all the info this book provided on the subject and I had to come to you guys.

The same book has two whole pages on flywheels, an entire chapter on engine overhaul, and the best R&I procedure for the drivetrain.....   but no detailed procedure for changing a clutch and what to check and replace while you are at it, or even how to safely separate the engine from the trans and put it back together, no mention of the fragile diff snout..... and no diagram for how to assemble the parts that go in-between the two after doing that engine overhaul the book spells out....   for that matter I found no diagram or detailed procedure for this assembly in ANY of the books.

When I put mine back together I left out the large washer type spacer that goes in between the flywheel and the bolts....   nowhere was there a diagram showing it or any mention of it whatsoever.  I also never did figure out whether or not to put any type of lube on the splined portion of the trans input shaft that rides inside the clutch.... and I paid no special attention to the snout (thankfully I didnt hurt it)  this whole assembly is ignored in these books.  I didnt see any mention of HOW to remove a pilot bushing either...  I had to ask you folks.  Especially given the frequency of pilot bushing problems and oil soaked clutches in Corvairs I would think this topic would be much in demand.... and a full procedure justified.

My factory assembly manual is where I expect to find diagrams of whatever assembly is giving me trouble.. but I have found this book to be completely useless so far!  As I mentioned I still havent found a diagram of the bellhousing/flywheel/washer/clutch/shaft/throwout bearing/fork/snout seal assembly... or two separate diagrams with the engine half and trans half of this assembly.  I also needed a diagram of the steering column...  when I found it it was not very helpful.  All in all I think the money I spent on this would have been better spent elsewhere... or rather; ANYWHERE else.

I'd love to see an all inclusive index compiled telling those of us who haven't yet memorized the contents of each of these books where to look for what we need... it would probably increase sales of certain books too.  This would be a great quickie solution.

B-  Brake repair-  Book suchandsuch, page suchandsuch (sections could be listed for each book for the same subject)

C-  Clutch replacement- Book suchandsuch, page suchandsuch
      Carb synchronizing-  Book suchandsuch, page suchandsuch

D-  Drivetrain removal- Book suchandsuch, page suchandsuch

Ray Rodriguez III
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 hot rodded coupe