<VV> When is a '60 not a '60?

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Thu Nov 26 10:01:22 EST 2009

I've seen several non-'60's advertised as 1960 Corvairs.
Most of the time the seller is not trying to dupe anyone -
they just don't know the differences. I agree that the
best way to tell if you are looking at a "real" 1960 is to
check for the battery/spare tire location (battery on the
passenger's side of the engine compartment and no
provision for a spare tire back there on the '60 design).
Also, if the car has channels in the main uni-body
structure for a hot air heater then the car can not be a
1960. So many things get changed over the years. Front end
panels. Engines. VIN plates. But it would be really hard
to alter the engine compartment or the uni-body.

As for the engine lid, did you know that late-built 1960's
had a 1961-style outer panel factory welded to the
1960-only inner panel? The 1960 production run lasted more
than a year (July 1959 through the second week of August
1960) and it appears that they ran out of the 1960-only
style outer panel. The difference is that the vent
openings in the outer panel were bent flat to make room
for the spare tire in the engine compartment on '61 and
later Corvairs. The 1960 inner panel has no provision on
the right side for a spare tire cutout. All other early
deck lids do. I'm not sure when the actual change was
made, but I have a few '60's in my collection with this
feature.

There was a 1962 Corvair station wagon for sale on Ebay
recently in Youngstown, Ohio. The used car lot said the
car was all original. But... it had a concave front panel
between the headlights. Just like a 1960! Later I saw this
car listed on Craigslist somewhere in Texas for less than
the Ohio dealer wanted. Was the guy in Texas duped? My
best best advice: Buyer beware and ask a Caveman before
buying a questionable 1960 Corvair. - Pete K