<VV> why constant newbie questions? corvair literature criticism

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 10:09:41 EST 2009

Ray,

Your question is completely understandable. As someone who has been in the
Corvair hobby continuously since before they stopped building them, and who
has even supplied previously unavailable tech info to Clark's for
reproduction, even I also have found the available database, though
extensive, sometimes isn't totally complete, or easily found at best. Many
times, illustrations and line drawings of the exact part or assembly just
doesn't exist, even from GM. Just try to find some of the obscure parts,
particularly ones that fall between major assemblies, in a Clark's catalog,
for example. (Clark's relies heavily on GM drawings, BTW.) Or try to find a
tech article pertaining to a specific item or procedure in the CORSA Tech
Guide.

Maybe a good project for our tech wizards would be a comprehensive
cross-reference index encompassing ALL available (and commonly used) guides
and manuals, and listing all available illustrations and breakdown
drawings/pictures. Basic manuals for reference work would be the following:
GM P&A manual, Clark's parts catalog, CORSA Tech Guide (and Beginners'
Manual), How To Keep Your Corvair Alive, How To Hotrod Corvair Engines,
Fisher Body Manuals, and GM Assembly Manuals. It would also cross-reference
slang words to all correct terminology for various parts, as listed in the
GM P&A manuals and/or were standard auto industry terms, so that everyone
could be "on the same page" and talk intellegently with others that
actually knew the parts in question. The popular slang that would be
included would be noted as such, and its usage would be discouraged. And
maybe the drawings data base could be added to (by pictures?), to cover
those parts that just aren't shown anywhere.

This would require a huge effort, no doubt dwarfing even the CORSA
Beginners' Manual. Wonder if the same people that did that project would be
brave enough to step up to THIS challange?

-Mark

time with a ton of newbie questions...  and that folks frequently mention
(usually politely, but not always) that my answer could have been found on
page such and such.. of such and such book...    Sometimes they just say
"you should really invest in some books/manuals"....

> I (almost) always check the archives, google, and my books before asking
questions... here is where my gripe comes in.

> I own the 65' factory assembly manual, Corvair Basics, How to Hotrod
Corvair engines, and How to Keep your Corvair Alive.  I need to get a 66'
supplement for the new car.

> The first problem is that only how to keep your corvair alive has an
index.  When I go looking for something in particular it usually takes far
longer than it should to find it, if I find it at all.  This might not be
so bad but since you are searching multiple books it can be a nightmare...
if it was all one book it wouldnt be so bad but there is no "complete" book
that I know of.. you need the whole library.

> Many simple R&I procedures seem to be missing.... perhaps I'm too
accustomed to standard chilton's manuals with procedures for everything..
but I find this a problem quite frequently.  I also find that there are no
diagrams of a lot of things.. or that diagrams are not detailed or clear
enough.

> On some topics there is a ton of excellent well detailed information.. on
others there is little or nothing.

> The Corvair Basics book is fantastic.. and a must for any Vair owner...
but why doesnt it have an index!?!?!?!?  Now if these guys (thanks Bob
Helt!) would write a complete shop manual I'd be interested!.... but please
include an index!!!

> Some examples:
>
> In how to keep your Corvair alive (the best source I know for a
powertrain R&I procedure) the drivetrain removal is in the "Engine
Maintenance" chapter between fan belt adjustment and oil level check....
to make matters worse for the poor guy looking for this procedure there are
several paragraphs at the beginning of the Engine Overhaul chapter (where I
would expect to find this procedure) about removing the powertrain but with
no detailed procedure... and no reference to where to look for the
procedure.  At the time I needed it this lead me to believe that this was
all the info this book provided on the subject and I had to come to you
guys.

> The same book has two whole pages on flywheels, an entire chapter on
engine overhaul, and the best R&I procedure for the drivetrain.....   but
no detailed procedure for changing a clutch and what to check and replace
while you are at it, or even how to safely separate the engine from the
trans and put it back together, no mention of the fragile diff snout.....
and no diagram for how to assemble the parts that go in-between the two
after doing that engine overhaul the book spells out....   for that matter
I found no diagram or detailed procedure for this assembly in ANY of the
books.

> When I put mine back together I left out the large washer type spacer
that goes in between the flywheel and the bolts....   nowhere was there a
diagram showing it or any mention of it whatsoever.  I also never did
figure out whether or not to put any type of lube on the splined portion of
the trans input shaft that rides inside the clutch.... and I paid no
special attention to the snout (thankfully I didnt hurt it)  this whole
assembly is ignored in these books.  I didnt see any mention of HOW to
remove a pilot bushing either...  I had to ask you folks.  Especially given
the frequency of pilot bushing problems and oil soaked clutches in Corvairs
I would think this topic would be much in demand.... and a full procedure
justified.

> My factory assembly manual is where I expect to find diagrams of whatever
assembly is giving me trouble.. but I have found this book to be completely
useless so far!  As I mentioned I still havent found a diagram of the
bellhousing/flywheel/washer/clutch/shaft/throwout bearing/fork/snout seal
assembly... or two separate diagrams with the engine half and trans half of
this assembly.  I also needed a diagram of the steering column...  when I
found it it was not very helpful.  All in all I think the money I spent on
this would have been better spent elsewhere... or rather; ANYWHERE else.

> I'd love to see an all inclusive index compiled telling those of us who
haven't yet memorized the contents of each of these books where to look for
what we need... it would probably increase sales of certain books too.
This would be a great quickie solution.

> B-  Brake repair-  Book suchandsuch, page suchandsuch (sections could be
listed for each book for the same subject)