<VV> why constant newbie questions? corvair literature criticism

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 10:26:46 EST 2009

Bob,

I have to differ with you on the usefulness of an index. A table of
contents is a general listing. An index would break down that listing into
various key elements. A GOOD index, I have found, is invaluable. It's just
that there are so few good indexes, for anything.

Case in point is the Grand Lodge of Ohio's Bylaws index. Totally worthless
IMHO. Yet they require officers of the local lodges (particularly the
Masters on up) to know the Bylaws, and/or be able to quickly find any given
item in the codebook. It's one of my perenial frustrations, upon which I
have complained bitterly for years, as well as through two terms as Master
of my Lodge.

While that situation isn't directly applicable to the Corvair world, it
simply illustrates my point about the lack of good indexes. A good,
comprehensive index (as mentioned in my other post on this subject) would
definately be of help, not only to newbies, but to old hands such as
myself. Heck, at this stage of my life I've probably forgotten more than
most Corvair people will ever know, nor do I remember where I saw it. LOL

-Mark