<VV> Surging

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:26:55 EST 2009

Thanks guys for all the valuable suggestions.
I used to use the leakdown testor all the time on aircraft piston engines,
know how to do that, but had not thought of it myself. The engine is noisy
in the #1 cyl area, sounds like a thunk, like a piston slap, but does not go
away when you pull the plug wire off. But, when you go down by the valve
train area, its nice and quiet, just the usual valve train working, no
clatter. I just asshumed it was the fuel pump. Will have to do some more
diagnosis, and yes, I will try taking vacuum off the left bank. I have
noticed when I synced the carbs that the left bank vacuum is smooth, the
ball rides in place and adjusts up and down with idle adjustment, but the
right bounces up and down between a 1/6th and a 1/8 inch all the time. Had
not connected that to a possible intake valve leak, but, that would cause
it.
Time to do some tests!
Mark Durham