<VV> why constant newbie questions? corvair literature criticism

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 12:46:51 EST 2009

At least we agree about most indexes being bad. But you make an interesting point as to "key" words. That's why I have always promoted the usage of common, industry-accepted terminology. It's why we all need to be "on the same page" and using proper terminology. The proposed index (if you note in my write-up) would contain "slang" terms in a cross-reference, but only to the extent that would allow such "slang" term usage to permit a user to arrive at the needed topic.

An example of this would be: "front spoiler, see valance panel". That's how that part is termed by GM in the P&A book. Then under "valance panel" there would be all the "chapter and verse" listings for wherever it was mentioned in the various sources. That would get everyone speaking in common terms. (BTW just TRY to find it in a GM P&A catalog!)

You say that a "table of contents" isn't general. Yet I find them to be so. If you're looking (for example) for a good illustration of the front control rod, just TRY to find one. Even Clark's at one point had to pencil in a representation of one for his catalog, and use but a partial (cutaway) at another point. What if you needed it to know whether yours was usable or not? Or try to find a windshield header trim or backlite molding. Hard to come by. What if you needed to know how they came off/attached to the body? Would you know where to look? You have to look at it in that kind of light, and a "table of contents" sometimes doesn't. You end up searching, and leafing through lots of pages (one reason a CD is useless, BTW).

Just my thoughts.....

-Mark