<VV> Seeking diagnosis - front lights not working - '66 Corvair

Brent Fullard brent.fullard at rogers.com
Fri Nov 27 13:26:55 EST 2009

Chuck: Thanks. That's what I thought could be at play here, namely the floor
mounted high beam switch. Potentially explains everything except why the
left front turn signal is not working. Or maybe it explains that as well?
Brent

On 11/27/09 1:19 PM, "Charles McKinley" <cmckinley313 at cox.net> wrote:

> Brent,
> I had similar problems and discovered that the headlight dimmer
> switch (on the floor) had corroded contacts. Quite a bit of the
> lighting circuitry goes through that switch. I eventually replaced it.
> At least, it's pretty easy to check. First try switching it several
> times, and if that doesn't help, pull off the wire connector and put
> it back on firmly. Take a look at the connectors in the socket for
> signs of corrosion.
>
> Chuck McKinley

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Here is the condition I am faced with:

(a) Both front parking lights not working - however rear parking lights do
work

(b) Left front turn signal not working - however other 3 turn signals work.

(c) Headlights do not turn on - however high beams do work.

Here's what I have checked in an attempt to diagnose these problems:

(1) Parking light bulbs are correct dual filament bulbs (and both filaments
are intact for both bulbs). When I switch bulbs, left side to right side,
problem (b) still persists, leading me to conclude it's not the bulbs at
fault. BTW: The housings are like new and have zero corrosion.

(2) I placed a separate back-up ground wire on the left lamp housing in an
attempt to solve problem (b), but it had no effect.

Any thoughts on what the cause of these 3 conditions could be? Is this being
caused by one problem or two separate problems? Is the headlight switch
potentially at fault? If so, how do I bench test it? What else could this
be?

Thanks!