<VV> valve noise situation

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 16:51:48 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/27/2009 6:04:59 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
N2VZD at aol.com writes:

so i and  others who
are in  the know still point finger at that darn  cam.

Tim,
I'm sitting here trying to visualize how a cam can cause valve noise. And
I'm not getting any answers. Won't the lifters always follow the rising
contour  of the lobes? And won't the valve springs (if working correctly) always
push the  lifters down against the lobe contours on the lowering side? And
at an idle, we  shouldn't have to worry about valve float or toss. So how
can a "bad" cam cause  the problems you are experiencing?

Also,  are you doing a running or static adjustment? If running, how do the
lifters  respond to Zero lash? Do they hold a setting or not?

Regards,
Bob Helt