<VV> When is a Corvair Wagon not Stock?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Nov 29 11:23:19 EST 2009

At 09:42 AM 11/28/2009, Mike Jacobi wrote:
>Hi Pete
>
>I think you've got it right.  Labels count for little...the important thing
>is to have fun with your car, made the way you like it.  Otherwise we might
>as well all drive Chevettes

Let's not be too down on the little Shovette".

In the mid-late '70s, according to an insider interviewed by Hot Rod
magazine, the R&D guys modified a Chevette with a Buick V6 (sans
turbo, however) and added some hi-perf additions to the engine and
some driveline durability mods, played with it on their proving
grounds track and found it to be a "fun little car".    In fact,
performance-wise it was "more funner" than the Corvette which it
would out-accelerate.    There had actually been some scuttlebutt
(according to Hot Rod magazine's editorials) about producing the
"Chevette-SS" but the suits slammed the door shut on the idea, what
with the prestige of their flagship Corvette being threatened by a
Chevette of all things...

Ever since, I've wondered about what would be involved with doing up
a Chevette like that...

A nicely outfitted 2-door with some wheels, tires, a bit of
suspension, and a strong aluminum V6 might not be an unhappy
experience.    Can you say "GM's variant of the Omni GLH"?

Subaru and their WRX had nothing on Chrysler's GLH...

tony..