<VV> Pan Gasket - replacement

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 16:01:14 EST 2009

> ... the best replacement oil pan gasket.

I think it depends on what you have for an oil pan -- stock, cast
aluminum, other ...

I like the thicker cork/rubber ones for the stock gasket, and the
thinner cork rubber ones for the machined surface pans.  The less RTV
used the better, imo, including none. If you have to use it, use the
most expensive stuff available in your market, not the cheapest.  RTV is
a very poor sealant for oil and gas -- great for water pumper thermostat
housings though.  And factory torque specs, applied with a torque wrench
-- also straighten mounting flanges on stock pans.

There *are* some excellent "silicone" gaskets on the market, with a thin
layer of the stuff bonded to a shim steel core, just none for Corvairs
of which I am aware -- maybe a new product for David Langsather?

Bill Strickland