<VV> R.I.P. Pinky

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sun Nov 29 19:44:52 EST 2009

As a note of clarification, "Pinky" was the first Corvair
convertible that GM built. He started off life as a 1960
model year 2 door coupe. The roof was cut off and a
folding top was engineered by GM. Many other features
found a trial on Pinky, including a 3 speed automatic
transaxle - depending on who you talk to. I talked to the
last person who drove Pinky back in the early '80's. He
assured me that there were two upshifts from a standing
start = a three speed automatic transmission. Pinky
suffered Michigan winters and road salt and was a rusty
mess when this fellow parked him. The car was sold for a
mere pittance and the new owner only had eyes for the
Kelsey Hayes wire wheels that Pinky was still wearing. The
wires were removed and put on a Spyder and Pinky was sent
to the scrap heap. This was no later than 1983. I really
don't think there is any chance that any part of Pinky
still exists - with the exception of the Kelsey's. It is
nice to dream, but this one is probably just a dream that
will never be full-filled. Sorry for the cold water. -
Caveman Pete