<VV> R.I.P. Pinky

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Nov 30 01:55:20 EST 2009

At 07:44 PM 11/29/2009, peter koehler wrote:
>As a note of clarification, "Pinky" was the first Corvair
>convertible that GM built. He started off life as a 1960
>model year 2 door coupe. The roof was cut off and a
>folding top was engineered by GM. Many other features
>found a trial on Pinky, including a 3 speed automatic
>transaxle - depending on who you talk to.

According to those who should know, Pinky did indeed have a 3-speed
automatic transmission.

>I talked to the
>last person who drove Pinky back in the early '80's. He
>assured me that there were two upshifts from a standing
>start = a three speed automatic transmission. Pinky
>suffered Michigan winters and road salt and was a rusty
>mess when this fellow parked him.

..still shoulda been saved.   ;)

>The car was sold for a
>mere pittance and the new owner only had eyes for the
>Kelsey Hayes wire wheels that Pinky was still wearing.

I was acquainted with someone who had a serious interest in the
wheels.   Gawrsh that was a long time ago...

>The
>wires were removed and put on a Spyder and Pinky was sent
>to the scrap heap. This was no later than 1983. I really
>don't think there is any chance that any part of Pinky
>still exists - with the exception of the Kelsey's. It is

Now, according to scuttlebutt the transaxle did...  somebody salvaged
it and I was told it ended up in the classifieds in the Communique
many years ago.   Or, something like it with three speeds.   It got
sold to somebody, whatever it was.   The rest of the car was pretty
sad and nobody bothered to save it, vanished into
history...  probably was turned into a storm door and a
refrigerator... if there was that much metal left on it.

>nice to dream, but this one is probably just a dream that
>will never be full-filled. Sorry for the cold water. -
>Caveman Pete

I await comments on those who may have seen that Communique
ad...  need to dig through my Communiques, see if I can find it.

Smitty...?

tony..