<VV> adding weight to rear to improve handling (mag. article)

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Thu Oct 1 18:28:04 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <Wrsssatty at aol.com>
Subject: <VV> adding weight to rear to improve handling (mag. article)

> <Actually, a car  magazine article from 1960 or 1961 (Road and  Track??)
> entitled "why doesnt the corvair handle" explored the  weight bias theory
***********
The article could as well be entitled " why doesn't a go-kart handle " .....
the truth is, of course, that an early model *can*  handle, if prepared as a
go-kart.

As the CableGuy might say,   " lock'er down  " ....

I innocently mentioned this a few years ago here and received over 76,000
hate emails ...   I forgave all of them, knowing that they did not know of
which they speak ....
***********
I believe the most important thing about " suspension " is that of comfort
for the driver ( and other passengers, if a street car ) ...   this is
important, because it allows achieving " easy-chair " driving ... without
this, few would buy a street car .... and even a competition driver can only
stand so much blood pouring out of his eyes before he backs off... or makes
a driving error .

I guess that now would be a good time to mention that adding weight to the
front trunk of a corvair to balance the engine in the rear .... is a poor
choice.... what it does is make a " dumb-bell "  ( lifting weight ) out of
the car ,   what it really needs is very simple .... " mass should be
centered fore and aft, and low, very very low ...   "

reargards, ken at deltawerkes