<VV> ROLL CALL? What did you drive

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Sun Oct 4 12:41:54 EDT 2009

This past week my usually reliable Monza had thrown some tantrums. The
threads in the #4 spark plug hole had disappeared and I had to tap it
and insert a heli-coil. The right rear wheel cylinder had to be rebuilt
in order to get the brakes up to snuff. I managed to get it accomplished
in time for Saturday morning's ferry trip.

Yesterday, I drove my '66 Monza Coupe 110/4 onto the ferry and 90
minutes later arrived on the mainland in Rockland, ME.. There I met up
with Dana and his far-more-stunning LM coupe. Dana had already driven 45
miles from Bucksport, ME.

After a gas stop for my Monza [finally - premium gas!] and a Dunkin
Donuts stop for Dana and I, we headed
60 miles to Brunswick, ME, where Ron Tinkham had arranged for Goodwin
Chevrolet to host the Dirigo Corvairs 50th anniversary celebration. By
the time we all arrived, the rains had started in earnest and waves of
squalls hit us throughout the day.

Nevertheless, a great group of enthusiasts and a very pleasant staff at
Goodwin Chevrolet enjoyed this lineup:

Yenko Stinger
Lakewood 700
EM sedan
EM Monza coupe [2]
LM 140 convertible
LM customized convertible
LM coupes [2]

Ron and his sons erected a Corvair sales banner and we shared period
advertisement with the sales staff. They feted us by firing up the
grill, sharing good stories and keeping us dry. We wandered in and out
of the rain, diagnosed engine issues [pinging problems on one car, valve
problems on mine], swapped car talk with the sales staff, and examined
the new Camaro. A Land Rover buddy who lives in Brunswick stopped by the
admire the cars.

As the rains increased in the mid-afternoon, we headed northeast and
southwest from Brunswick, in my case, another 60 miles plus the 15 mile
ferry trip; in Dana's case, another 45 miles east to Bucksport.

Yes, the weather was lousy and the economy is lousy, but Goodwin's is a
major Chevrolet - Mazda dealership in a major market town for midcoast
Maine. Yet it was striking to note that we seemed to be the largest
group of people who showed up all mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Even the
used car operation looked quiet. Frankly, I believe we were the most
entertaining part of the day for the sales and service staff working
that day.

As my car lacked its usual smoothness, I had a sneaking suspicion that
something is not right with my #4 cylinder. Ron Moller of Maplewood
Motors listened to it at low rpm. His aural diagnosis is a valve not
operating [lifter, rocker arm, valve?]. Looks like it's time for a spark
and compression check - yikes!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME
www.landroverwriter.com