<VV> Car running lean - advice appreciated (Was 828 miles)

Guus de Haan guusdehaan at mac.com
Fri Oct 9 13:50:27 EDT 2009

Op 9 okt 2009, om 16:06 heeft tony.underwood at cox.net het volgende
geschreven:

> But if you know what the car likes to normally run, the gauge in the
> dash works well enough.

That's how I use it.

> It's also been my experience that an RL series turbo engine will last
> about 45 seconds at full throttle before the overheat buzzer and
> warning
> light comes on.
>
> Last time it happened to me it wasn't soon enough...  ;)

That is very short but I haven't had much experience using full
throttle. Most of the time I loose the belt earlier then the 45
seconds ;-)

> They will not stop until either the engine cools off or you switch off
> the ignition, which as we all know, is not a good idea for a hot 'Vair
> engine.   Better to run it at a very fast idle until it does cool
> enough
> to stop the buzzer.

The the engine can't have been very hot because it did stop at the
same time I turned the engine off. Maybe it had already cooled down.
Like I said, I didn't find the engine very hot sticking my head in the
engine bay. Maybe Bob Helts remark on the wrong temperature switch
could be correct.

> You're probably ok.    If you're using synthetic oil it's likely ok
> too,
> but if you're using distilled dinosaur oil I'd change it just to make
> sure it didn't have its additives driven out by excessive heat.

Somehow I think it wasn't really overheating. It ran way to smooth too.

> ...blow off the hose to the distrubutor pressure retard maybe?

Just check it and it's on as is the vacuum/pressure line to the turbo
gauge on the dash. Any more ideas where there could be a vacuum leak
and how to check for them?

> Absolutely.  You can NOT allow a turbo 'Vair engine to ping at high
> rpm/boost levels.   You just can't.   Destruction results.   DAMHIK...
> ;)

Not sure what DAMHIK means but I guess it's better to solve the
pinging first before pushing it :-))

Guus

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands