<VV> Torque Spec

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Oct 9 22:20:28 EDT 2009

At 03:33 PM 10/9/2009, Robert Marlow wrote:
>Bruce Schug wrote:
>
> > When I was in high school I broke a head stud on a friends flathead
> > over torquing it. I've used a torque wrench on anything important
> > since then.
> >
> > I think the problem you can run into on wheel lugs is that uneven
> > torque can distort parts like rotors and drums.
> >
> > Have you actually built an engine without a torque wrench, Bob?

In my teens I used to hang out around a garage a block away, on the
way to the corner grocer's.   Two guys ran it, both gray.   I watched
them time and again putting engines together after ring&bearing
overhauls or valve jobs or whatever and never saw a torque
wrench.   I had to ask...

Answer was:

"I just tighten stuff to where it feels about right."

He then began spouting off torque specs for various fasteners likely
to be found in an engine while he was assembling a 389 Pontiac
engine, mumbling things like "grade-8" and "fine-thread" and "studs
instead of capscrews" which at the time wasn't really making that
much of an impression but later in reflection it's a different story.

"After 30 years of doing this I got a pretty good idea what 50
footprints feels like."

Then he smiled that shit-eating grin that old guys shoot at kids...

I asked the other guy one time if they ever had any of their "torqued
by braille" engines come back on them and he said "Not yet".

"How long have you been doing it like that?"         "Since I first
started work as a mechanic."     He looked like he was about 60.

A couple years later I left town to wear OD Green and learn how to
avoid stepping on land mines.     Came back home after a few more
years and they were still there... first thing I saw when I went past
that same bay was a Vega engine block getting honed which caught my
attention.    First time I'd seen siamesed cylinders in a
block.    Same as before, no torque wrench in sight...

"Why does it need rings after only a couple years?"

"Cuz the damned fools at GM didn't sleeve the block."

I nodded in agreement, having picked up on a couple things while
wearing Green on a daily basis.    Made more small talk for a while,
halfway expecting a torque wrench to appear for the rods but it never did.

I didn't even ask...    but I bet that engine didn't come back again
either, not for lack of fastener security.    ;)    Those old men
were pretty good.

tony..           not that good, has 3 torque wrenches