<VV> Flip that FC

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Oct 11 15:33:07 EDT 2009

At 01:52 PM 10/11/2009, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>Excellent analysis Bob, and the last sentence in your post is exactly
>the point I was making.  Corvairs simply don't roll over.  It might
>look scary, but they don't roll over.  And if they don't roll over in
>a sharp corner where the driver is trying to go as fast as possible,
>then they certainly don't roll over on the street.  The only reason I
>posted the photo was to show that just because it looks scary doesn't
>mean there's any danger.
>
>But, we all know that.  I suspect Ray has set himself an impossible
>task :-(
>
>--Bryan
>
>On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Vairtec at optonline.net wrote:
>
> > If you want to flip an FC you need to get going quite a bit faster,
> > then "trip" it by skidding into a curb or a ditch.  The only thing
> > driving one around an autocross course will do is alarm the ignorant.

Now, a Ford Econoline van, on the other hand...    ;)

Got personal experience behind one driven by a nimrod who tried to
perform a rapid u-turn on the 4-lanes of the "three mile strip" here
in town, aka Williamson Rd.   The Econoline went from van to bicycle,
driver had the sense to steer out of the turn and plant it back down
on 4 tires almost running it into the curb before getting it
straightened out.

Had a great view of the underside of the van in the process.   It was
reminiscent of one of those Chitwood shows.

tony..