<VV> Upgrading from 3 speed to a 4 speed

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Oct 30 17:41:56 EDT 2009

keith osborne wrote:
> Doesn't the '64 differential have the special mounting provision for the transverse leaf spring?  So a '64 car can only use a '64 differential housing?

Yes but no.  The, the '64 diff has the mounting pad for the transverse
spring, but I have seen earlier diffs installed in '64s, and '64 springs
installed in earlier cars, by simply letting the spring ride against the
bottom of the diff case.  Not a good idea, but I have seen it more than
once.

--Bob