<VV> Corvair Myths and Facts

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sat Sep 5 13:32:40 EDT 2009

Smitty:

The myth I always like is when someone says: "I'm _certain_ that I had
the one with the push-button shifter."  (As though the little t-bar with
no "park" position wasn't distinctive enough...).

Usually, I gently tell them that they're likely thinking of a Valiant,
but every now and again I run into some mallet head who insists that
it's true.  He (or she) grinds his pointed little foot in the dirt and
assures me that I'm the one who's mistaken.  It kills me that it never
dawns on people like this that someone who cares enough to own and drive
a Corvair all these years later might just know a smidgen more about
Corvairs than they do.

The *fact* I like to share with people is that 1.77 million Corvairs
were built.  That would mean that, on average, approximately 1-2% of the
U.S. population in the 1960s bought a brand-new Corvair
(http://www.census.gov/statab/hist/HS-01.pdf).  Assuming that most of
these Corvairs were at some point traded in and bought again as used
cars, you might reasonably claim that 4-5% of the US owned a Corvair in
the 60s.  The dangers simply could not have been as severe as Nader
claimed, or the effects would have been widespread.  The other fact that
accompanies this point is the 1973 NHTSA report that completely
exonerated the Corvair.

Another fact I like to point out to people is that the Volkswagen Beetle
(and Porsches) of the era shared the same rear-engine, swing-axle
design.  An opinion I frequently mix into the conversation is that Nader
likely perceived GM's pockets to be deeper, so he went after them
instead of the German manufacturers.

There's a list of myths on the Corvair Underground website
(http://www.corvairunderground.com/myths.htm).  There's another on
Hemmings by way of the Vermont Corvair Club:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/nvce/FactsMyths.html .

Can you please share the final list that you come up with?  I'm sure
with your knowledge and the help of VV, you'll do a good job of it.  It
would be nice to have them all in one place.

Steven "I'm 'certain' that Myth You was a single by the Rolling Stones"
Serenska
65 Monza convertible, 110/4
66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4